I love to cook and can usually nail a recipe, but sometimes the universe has other plans. I intended to make slow cooker lemon chicken, but when I uncovered it after 6 hours it broke apart into pieces. But not to worry, it was salvageable.
However, friends were coming over for dinner and had to spring into action and get this meal back on track. So I threw in some frozen peas and carrots and ta-da we have pot pie! Now it was on to the flaky crust…no time for traditional pot pie so I tossed some biscuits in the oven and it did the trick.
Moral of the story here, cooking doesn’t have to be perfect and sometimes recipes just don’t work out the way you planned. But, with a little creativity you can turn it into something delicious.
Here’s the (sort of) recipe below…
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- ¾ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth (fat free, low sodium)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ cup capers
- Small bag frozen peas and carrots
- Pre-made biscuit dough
- Sprinkle chicken thighs evenly with salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add half of chicken. Cook about 3 minutes per side, or until browned. Transfer to a slow cooker. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, and repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
- Combine broth, juice, flour and cumin, stirring with a whisk. Pour broth mixture over chicken.
- Top with capers and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- Add frozen peas and carrots and cover to heat through before serving. Note, depending on the consistency you like you may need to add in a little extra chicken broth.
- Cook biscuits in the oven as directed on the package.
- While biscuits are warm, cut in half and scoop chicken mixture and serve.