Sunday grilling is one of my favorite things to do. I love having friends over to enjoy good food, drinks and conversation to help ease into the work week ahead. In an effort to eat healthy and cut out some carbs, I decided to make turkey burgers with portobello mushroom caps as an alternative to buns. They are easy to make and full of flavor!
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp low sodium worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Back of the Yards seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for coating)
- Put all ingredients in a large bowl
- Using your hands, blend all of the ingredients together until combined
- Take a handful of the mixture and make into a medium sized patty
- Place them on a plate and drizzle a little olive oil on each one and lightly coat both sides – keeps them juicy when grilling and helps from sticking to the grill
- Fire up the grill and place them on the burners
- Cook approximately 5 minutes on each side (until inside is no longer pink)
- You can put whatever toppings you want on them, but I put a little tzatziki sauce and mixed greens on top.
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms:
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Place mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting.
- Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently.