I love me a good brunch and enjoying making it even more. I surprised my dear friend this weekend with a brunch to celebrate her recent engagement. We had such a great time and whipping up brunch was a breeze. While the ladies enjoyed the mimosa bar, I made a frittata, candied maple bacon and breakfast potatoes. Everything was a hit and super easy to pull together.
Candied Maple Bacon
- 1 lb thick cut bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line two rimmed cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop the brown sugar into a shallow long pan.
- Pour the maple sugar into another shallow long pan.
- Take each strip of bacon and dunk it into the maple syrup, then the brown sugar. Place each strip on the cookie sheets.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for about 15 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Check the bacon and if it’s how you like it remove from the oven. If you like yours a bit crispier you can add 5 minutes or so. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Pull each piece off the parchment paper and place on a plate to cool.
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 1 lb ground breakfast turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a cast-iron skillet with non-stick spray and set to medium heat, add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally. Once the sausage is cooked through, add sweet peppers and continue to cook until tender yet crisp. Add spinach and cook until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add beaten eggs, swirling them around the pan. Continue to cook for about 1 minute or until eggs are set on the edges but still loose on top. Sprinkle top with cheese and transfer skillet to oven. Bake at 400 F for about 10 minutes or until frittata is slightly golden and set in middle. Cut into wedges to serve.
- 2.5 pounds red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, garlic, onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, olive oil, butter, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper.
- Pour potatoes onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing twice during baking.
- Raise the heat to 500 degrees and bake until crisp and brown, 10-15 more minutes, tossing twice.