The cookie exchange challenge is on! My amazing work family has decided to have a cookie exchange amongst our team. We’re all very competitive and I take this task seriously – okay as serious as you can with cookie baking. I’m not much of a baker since there’s so much precision involved. However, there’s something about Christmas cookies that brings out the baker in me.
After reviewing my family favorites, I selected the Russian Tea Cake. These buttery powdered sugar balls of bliss are one of my favorites. The recipe is one my mom has used for as long as I can remember so you know it’s good.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (set aside to roll the warm cookies in)
- Combine all ingredients, mix well
- Refrigerate dough until chilled (makes it easier to roll them into balls)
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake in a preheated oven of 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Once baked roll while still hot in confectioners’ sugar until coated. Let cool and you can lightly dust with more powered sugar if needed.